Kalamegha: The herbal liver tonic
Kalamegha is one of the most commonly used herb in Ayurveda due to it’s high medicinal value and abundant availability. The plant is found through out India especially in South Indian states. Kalamegha is well known for it’s Hepato-protective (Liver protection) actions. Dr. Varun Ram Raj of Ayurvedatarian uses this herb Kalamegha for the treatment of Liver disorders due to the Kapha and Pitta dosha balancing nature of the herb. The Pitta dosha balance is the key element in the treatment of liver related ailments. The modern researches identify the presence of phyto-constituents like Andrographolid, Kalameghin etc. which are Hepatoprotective in nature. Ayurvedic acharyas, our Gurus have discovered Kalamegha have excellent Kushtaghna (Alleviate skin disorders) activity and hence used in treatments of wide range of skin ailments.
GENERAL ASPECTS AND GEOGRAPHY
Botanical name : Andrographis paniculata
Family : Acanthaceae
Habitat: Found through out India
- Whole plant
Medicinal property according to Ayurveda
- Dipana (Carminative property)
- Raktasodhaka( Blood purifier)
- Visaghna (Antipoisonous )
- Kandughna (Beneficial for reducing itching)
- Kushtaghna (Used for treating skin disorders )
- Jwaraghna (Reduces fever )
- Liver disorders (Yakruthroga) – Decoction made up of Kalamegha is taken at a dose of 90 ml twice per day before food to alleviate Liver disorders.
- Diabetes Mellitus(Madhumeha)- Incase of Diabetes, decoction of Kalamegha can be given daily along with Amla powder at a dose of 60-100 ml
- Malaria (Vishamajwara)- The powder of Kalamegha is mixed with equal quantity of powdered Pepper and is taken internally incase of Malaria.
Powder (Churna) – 5 g
Decoction (Kashaya)- 45 ml
Juice (Swarasa)- 10 ml
Tablet - 2 tablets twice daily or as per the advice of the Ayurveda doctor
Note: Ayurveda medications must be taken only after consulting an Ayurveda doctor.
- Kalamegha churna
Erect wild annual subshrub. Stem is branched and herbaceous. Leaves are simple, linear obvate shaped. Inflorescence is of panicle type. Flowers aare white in color. Fruits are capsules.
VERNACULAR NAMES OF KALAMEGHA
English – The creat or green chiretta
Malayalam – Nila vepu
SYNONYMS OF KALAMEGHA
RASAPANCHAKA OF KALAMEGHA - Ayurvedic Pharmacology
Rasa- Tikta (bitter)
Guna- Laghu (Light)
Vipaka- Katu (Acrid)
Virya- Ushna (Hot)
Kalamegha alleviates Kapha pitta doshas based on the early mentioned Ayurvedic pharmacology. According to Ayurvedic textbooks, Kalamegha have excellent Yakruthrogahara property (Hepato-protective action). Ayurvedatarian lead by Dr. Varun Ram Raj, is currently conducting various researches based on ancient Ayurvedic textbooks to bring up good quality single herbs and Ayurvedic combinations for serving the globe with high grade Ayurveda.
RESEARCHES ON KALAMEGHA
Frequently asked Questions
1) Is Kalamegha good for controlling Diabetes ?
Yes, Kalamegha have excellent anti-diabetic actions. It can be used in decoction form or tablet form on a daily basis to check Diabetes after consulting an Ayurveda doctor.
2) What are the uses of Kalamegha churna?
Kalamegha churna is used effectively in Jaundice and liver disorders.
3) What is the dosage of Kalamegha churna?
The powdered form of Kalamegha is taken at a dose of 1-3 g twice daily.