Brahmi : The natural herb for nervous system care
Brahmi is commonly known as Thyme leaved gratiola. The plant have excellent memory enhancing property.
Brahmi contains phytochemicals like
-Stigmasterol etc. which aids in it’s cardio-tonic and nervous system supporting actions. Dr.Varun Ram Raj of Ayurvedatarian uses the herb Brahmi for the treatment of wide range of nervous system cases. According to Ayurvedic textbooks, Brahmi is the main ingredient of all Medhya oushadhas (Medicines which promotes intellect). The single herb in powder or tablet form can be used to treat acute cough and breathing discomforts.
Botanical name : Bacopa monnieri
Family : Scrophulariaceae
Habitat: Found through out India
- Whole plant
Classical categorisation based on Ayurveda
Charaka Samhita – Samjnasthapana varga (Used to promote intellect and memory)
- Memory enhancer
- Blood purifier
Medicinal property according to Ayurveda
- Rasayana (Rejuvenation property)
- Medhya ( Promotes intellect)
- Visaghna (Anti-poisonous )
- Kandughna (Beneficial for reducing itching)
- Kushtaghna (Used for treating skin disorders )
- Jwaraghna (Reduces fever )
- Epilepsy (Apasmara) – Brahmi is processed along with old ghee, sankhu pushpi (Convolulus pluricaulis), and Vacha (Acorus calamus) ,taken internally is beneficial in epilepsy.
- Insanity (Unmada) – Juice prepared from Brahmi, Sankhu pushpi (Convolulus pluricaulis), and Vacha mixed with honey is beneficial insanity.
- To promote intellect (Medhya janana) - Daily intake of Juice of Brahmi along with honey and Sankhu pushpi churna can promote intellect
Powder (Churna) – 5-10g
Decoction (Kashaya)- 90 ml
Juice (Swarasa)- 10-20 ml
Tablet - 2 tablets twice daily or as per the advice of the Ayurveda doctor
Note: Ayurveda medications must be taken only after consulting an Ayurveda doctor.
- Brahmi ghrta
- Manasamitra vataka
- Brahmi vati
- Kalyanaka ghrtha
Succulent annual herb of spreading nature.
Branches are numerous.
Leaves are simple and oblong shaped.
Flowers are small and axillary.
Fruits are capsule and of ovoid shape.
Seeds are minute and many.
Vernacular names of Brahmi
English – Thyme leaved gratiola
Malayalam – Brahmi
Synonyms of Brahmi
Rasapanchaka of Brahmi
Rasa- Madhura (sweet) Tikta (bitter) and Kashaya (astringent )
Guna- Laghu (Light)
Vipaka- Madhura (sweet)
Virya- Sita (cold)
The Madhura rasa (sweet taste) of Brahmi is helpful in reducing Vata dosha, it’s cold potency helps in alleviating Pitta dosha and it’s Tikta (Bitter) helps in reducing Kapha dosha. Hence Brahmi can be used in diseases causes by the vitiation of all 3 doshas. Brahmi
Dr. Varun Ram Raj, is leading the research for Ayurvedatarian single herbs and herbal combinations for making the availability of high quality herbal as well as Ayurvedic products to the globe.
Researches on Brahmi
Frequently asked questions:
- Is Brahmi a good herb to improve memory?
Yes, Brahmi is a good herb to improve memory if used properly under the guidance of an Ayurveda doctor from India.
2. Is it possible to take Brahmi without taking an Ayurveda consultation?
No, Brahmi must be taken only after a proper Ayurveda consultation. All Ayurveda medicines must take after consulting an Ayurveda doctor.
3. Which are the most used Ayurvedic herbs?
Brahmi, Arjuna, Tulsi, Amalaki or Amla, Neem, Sunti, Gotukola, Pippali, Manjishta, Yashtimadhu, Aloe vera, Punarnava and Aswagandha are most used Ayurvedic herbs. Follow Ayurvedatarian for getting all the details and aspects of Ayurveda.